Blogger Backgrounds

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Hanging with Jeanne Bannon


Joining us today is YA author Jeanne Bannon.
 What motivates Jeanne Bannon the author? Why do you write?
I write because of some strange inner drive to do so. I love books and the written word. Writing is creating and I believe we all have an urge to be creative. It comes out in different ways for different people, for me, it’s through words. As well, I’m motivated to write because I love the sense of accomplishment when I finish something.
What is it about the YA genre that motivated you to write a book?
I don’t really know why I was drawn to YA. I was in the midst of writing another novel (not YA) when I decided to take a break. The idea for INVISIBLE came to me fully formed and I wrote it in four months. I didn’t even realize it was going to be YA until I started it.
How many hours a day do you devote to writing? Do you have a set routine or do you write when the mood strikes?
I used to have a set routine. That is until INVISIBLE was released. Now all my time is taken up by promotion. I used to write on average, two hours a day. My writing time is in the evenings. Now though if I can get in two hours of writing a week I’m lucky.
Who is your favorite author? And, if given the opportunity to meet them, what would you ask them?
My favorite author is Stephen King. I love his characters. For me he’s all about the characters and it’s not the plot that draws me in. He’s a master of characterization. I would ask Mr. King if he would read my book and give me a blurb to print on the back of it so that I’d sell millions of copies.
What did you do when you found out your first book had been contracted?
I jumped up in the air, clapped my hands and screamed. Then I headed out the door to pick my daughter up for lunch. I had my little moment of joy but it was quickly back to reality.
Do you have any words of inspiration to aspiring authors? What advice would you offer a writer trying to publish?
I always recommend that a new writer find a good writing group. The group I belong to helped me so much in the beginning. I learned a great deal from those wonderful people and some of them are now dear friends. But don’t take criticism personally. Leave your ego out of it. Pay attention and learn from those who are better writers than you and one day you will be the teacher.
Tell us about your current release. 

Lola’s not pretty. Lola’s not popular. Lola wishes she could disappear … and then one day she does just that...

For seventeen-year-old Lola Savullo, life is a struggle. Born to funky parents who are more in than she could ever be, Lola’s dream of becoming a writer makes her an outsider even in her own home. Bullied and despised, Lola still has the support of her best pal Charlie and Grandma Rose.
Not only is she freakishly tall, Lola’s a big girl and when forced to wear a bathing suit at her summer job as a camp counselor, Lola’s only escape from deep embarrassment seems to be to literally vanish. Soon after, she discovers the roots of her new “ability”.
Slowly, with Charlie’s help, Lola learns to control the new super power. The possibilities are endless. Yet power can be abused, too…
Then, when tragedy strikes, Lola must summon her inner strength, both at home and at school. She has to stand up for herself, despite the temptations and possibilities of her newfound super power.
A coming-of-age story that will warm the heart.

Where can we find Invisible?
 Do you have any upcoming projects in the works?
I’m finishing up work on a paranormal thriller titled Dark Angel.

Where can readers connect with you?

Twitter: @JeanneBannon
 ***
Thanks so much for joining us today. Good luck with all of your future releases;)
Ella

No comments:

Post a Comment