Blogger Backgrounds

Friday, October 14, 2011

Bad Boy...Best of Both Worlds

The other day I participated in Noble Young Adult's Writing Craft Wednesday. The topic was Bad Boys we Love. Several authors contributed and had some really cool picks. If you'd like to read the post in it's entirety you can check it out here... http://nobleyoungadult.wordpress.com/

This is what I had to say...

Who doesn't love a bad boy? I'm drawn to them. I always have been, at least in my fiction world.  An evil character is fun to read, watch and write, but redemption always plays a big part in my stories. I want to create a character with depth, a tortured past and a reason for why they do the things they do. A good friend of mine once told me, "No one is all good or all bad."  I've used that advice many times when developing my own characters. My all time favorite bad boy and a perfect example of someone not being "all good or all bad" is Angel from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With him, we got the best of both worlds.


I simply adored Angel, but when he turned into Angelus…um, yum. There was something about him losing his soul that totally did it for me. He was ruthless and even though I wasn't supposed to love him, I couldn't help myself. I tuned in week after week to see what horrible thing he was going to do next, and there were many. He was wonderful as the sweet, caring vamp with a soul and that worked. But, sometimes a girl needs a blood thirsty, bad, take charge vamp. That's what made his character so interesting.  When Buffy and the gang found a way to restore him I may have grieved a little, but it was nice to have Angel back (that whole redemption quality). The great part about his character was he always had the potential to turn back into the bad boy and I always welcomed those episodes. 


Happy Weekend!
Ella
xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment